The Robert Calhoun Jordan, III Memorial Scholarship
Cal’s Cairn Award
The North Carolina Housing Finance Agency (NCHFA) in partnership with the Professional Housing Rehabilitation Association of North Carolina (PHRANC) established the Robert Calhoun Jordan, III Memorial Scholarship, Cal’s Cairn Award, as a tribute to Cal for his years of service as a Senior Housing Rehabilitation Officer with NCHFA and as a long standing PHRANC member and PHRANC Board Officer.
Cal championed the improvement of housing conditions in North Carolina through his steadfast support for the training of rehabilitation specialists to spread the best practices of housing rehabilitation, to broaden the understanding of building science and increase the professionalism of all those who serve in government funded housing rehabilitation programs.
With the goal that Cal’s stewardship will never be forgotten, we hope that these scholarships will act as guides on a trail, leading many housing rehabilitation specialists to training and educational opportunities that will result in better housing for those North Carolinians most in need.
In support of this much needed training, the Cal’s Cairn Award Scholarship Committee will award one annual scholarship to provide financial assistance to a PHRANC member or an organization with an annual award up to Five Hundred Dollars ($500) to pay the conference fees for the Spring and Fall PHRANC conferences each year.
Criteria and eligibility
1. Applicants must be a PHRANC Member current on their dues.
2. Applicants should describe why the individual deserves consideration by describing their housing rehabilitation efforts for those North Carolinians most in need and past contributions to PHRANC.
3. Applicants may additionally demonstrate a need for financial assistance for PHRANC training
1. Deadline for Spring 2019 scholarship applications are due January 15, 2019
2. Submit a typed request that does not exceed one (1) page, double-spaced, 12pt/font.
3. You will be notified by mail in August regarding the status of your application.
4. If you have any questions about the application, please call Mike Handley at (919) 877-5627.
5. Please mail applications or deliver in person to:
Cal’s Cairn Award Scholarship Committee
ATTN: Mike Handley
3508 Bush Street Raleigh, NC 27609-7509
Professional Housing Rehabilitation Association of North Carolina